My Weight Loss Ticker!

Saturday, May 2, 2009

American River Parkway Half!

So let me first start by saying my previous time to beat was 3:22:59 and I came in at 3:05:10!! A new personal record!!

Then I should go on to say - it was HARD! - I tried to pace myself and not go out too fast which I did a fairly good job at - but that was hard to do,you just get caught up in the race atmosphere and want to run faster and sometimes it doesn't even seem like you are running as fast as you are, then you look down at your Garmin and opps, too fast....

I had several thing happen that I had never had happen, I had some chafing, I had a pain in my shin that hurt like crazy when I ran (we ended up walking about 3 miles at the fastest pace I had ever walked in my life!) and I also had calorie consumption issues, I felt run down and hungry the whole time.

I ran with Lina, Natasha and Rebecca for around 7 miles and then I finally get my second wind and was able to pick up the pace - Rebecca pushed, encouraged, prodded, bitched and guided me to the finish in a time that would beat my old PR. She is in a faster pace group and has more experience than I do, so she decided that she would help me get my PR and I am eternally grateful to her. I also got the pleasure of watching Natasha come in the finish of her first half marathon - she looked great!!

On another note hubby completed his first Half marathon today - I was so proud of him for not giving up this season when the aches and pains were getting the best of him and sticking it out. He did very well and since the walkers started an hour before we did, he was able to see me come in.

The finish line was a blur - I do know my parents and both my boys were there- I remember crossing the line and hugging Rebecca and crying and then getting my medal (which again is the prettiest medal of all the ones they had) oh and did I mention it was raining? Yup - It started raining just as we lined up for the start and didn't stop the whole time we ran.

The aftermath of pushing yourself to get a new PR is leg cramps, my very first blister on my foot due to a small rock in my shoe (yeah I could have stopped and taken it out but that would have taken time...), and a slight headache and tummy ache - but it's all good because I have a new PR and a new found respect for what my body will do for me if I treat it right!

4 comments:

mak'n Changes said...

Oh that is soooo good! Congratulations! You are such an inspiration! I love reading your blog.
cindie

Anonymous said...

Awesome record time!! Beating your PR is the best motivator you could ask for!

jinxxxygirl said...

Yeah Bre!!!!!!!!!! You did great!!!You never know whats gonna happen race day do you? I think you pulled thru like a champ! :) Funny i just read Sars entry about running a half marathon(she's in NY) and it poured on her the whole way! Lets see a picture of you and your bling!!Jinx!

Tammy said...

WOW! You are a true inspiration! Great job, hon.